WHAT MAKES ACTIFILE DIFFERENT?
The problem of content protection and compliance is not new. Enterprises have been securing content on company provided laptops for many years. Encryption, discovery tools, endpoint DLP, vaults, are all technologies use to identify and protect sensitive content.
But networks are changing. Employees working on corporate controlled machines, connected to LAN’s protected behind firewalls are becoming the minority:
- Endpoints are mixing business use with personal use. BYOD or even giving a user administrative permissions or access to websites is enough for the device to become mixed use.
- Business applications are moving to the cloud. New organizations hardly have a data center while established ones are migrating to the cloud. Employees need of firewalled LANs is becoming rare.
- Gig economy and remote employees. Many organizations are going global making it easier and more cost effective to find good workers. These employees are not subject to the rigors of IT.
Consider the impact this has on information security:
- Corporations have a need to manage their data – but mixed use devices make it difficult to do without listening in to their employees data (or other mixed use endpoint users’ data).
- Having a middleware centric, LAN intensive endpoint doesn’t work for users in remote locations, both in terms of deployment and in terms of performance.
- Since users do whatever they like on their mixed use device, it is hard to write data centric policies (such as DLP policies).
Actifile’s Technology addresses these problems by:
- Isolating corporate files from other files by registering them and optionally encrypting them using an enterprise or a group key. This means that any file downloaded from a repository associated with the corporation (LAN, WAN or Cloud Application) is automatically registered and tracked by the Actifile agent.
- Flexible operation modes allow always-on (corporate laptop) as well as-needed (BYOD, home device). This allows contingent users to log into the agent when they need access to corporate data – and log out when finished and require privacy.
- Small and unobtrusive app is easy to push and install remotely
Actifile augments existing solutions:
- DLP – DLP works great on enterprise owned devices. Actifile augments DLP by allowing organizations to manage their data externally to the network. Unlike event driven DLP, which scans all content, Actifile manages only data which is retrieved and downloaded from corporate resources. It extends the DLP footprint to gig economy/third parties without risking their privacy.
- CASB – Cloud access security brokers are great at protecting data as it traverses the cloud and ends up on authorized endpoint operated by authenticated users. Once data resides on the endpoint, CASB can no longer enforce policies. Actifile extends CASB’s reach into the endpoint.
FOR GIG ECONOMY AND BYOD
Click here to learn how enterprises can use Actifile to augment their DLP and CASB implementations and gain control over their data assets – even when these are stored on un-managed endpoints
Click here to learn how any size organizations like hospitals and banks can use Actifile to audit and manage their data assets – even when these are stored on random endpoints